AFP correspondent Ali Astamirov kidnapped exactly two years ago in Ingushetia

first_imgNews Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown BelarusEurope – Central Asia July 4, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 AFP correspondent Ali Astamirov kidnapped exactly two years ago in Ingushetia News There has been no word of Ali Astamirov, Agence France-Presse’s correspondent in Ingushetia and Chechnya, since his abduction by gunmen on 4 July 2003 near Nazran (in Ingushetia) in front of fellow journalists. Investigators never discovered anything. Reporters Without Borders calls on President Vladimir Putin to give orders for the investigation to be revived.read in russian RSF_en June 2, 2021 Find out more May 28, 2021 Find out more News “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Receive email alerts Organisation BelarusEurope – Central Asia May 27, 2021 Find out more to go further Follow the news on Belarus read in russianAFP correspondent Ali Astamirov kidnapped exactly two years ago in IngushetiaReporters Without Borders today called on Russian President Vladimir Putin to order the revival of the investigation into the disappearance two years ago of Ali Astamirov, Agence France-Presse’s correspondent in Ingushetia and Chechnya, who was abducted by gunmen in front of fellow journalists on 4 July 2003 in the village of Altievo, 3 km from Nazran, Ingushetia’s main city.”We are very worried about Astamirov because the investigation by the authorities in Nazran and Moscow continues to be paralysed,” the organisation said, adding, “Reporters Without Borders will continue to campaign about this case until those responsible have been identified and brought to justice.”Investigators in Moscov and Nazran have discovered nothing about Astamirov’s abduction and, according to AFP’s Moscow bureau, no one has ever been detained or questioned. Neither AFP nor Astamirov’s family ever received any ransom demand and no one even tried to contact them.Aged 34 at the time of his abduction, of Chechen nationality and the father of two children, Astamirov had been working for AFP for a year. In the months prior to his kidnapping, he received anonymous threats and changed his place of residence out of concern for his security.AFP and Reporters Without Borders have repeatedly contacted the United Nations, the Council of Europe and the Russian government about the case. News Help by sharing this information last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *