IOSH’s new president seatedOn 1 Jan 2003 in Personnel Today Comments are closed. The new president of IOSH, Eleanor M Lawson, was inaugurated at theinstitution’s AGM, held before the annual dinner at Murrayfield Stadium,Edinburgh in November. Lawson has been a corporate member of IOSH for 10 years, a Fellow since 1999and a member of council since 1998. She succeeds Paul Faupel, county health andsafety adviser with Cambridgeshire County Council – president for the past twoyears. Lawson has been chairman of IOSH’s West of Scotland Branch and has alsoserved on a number of IOSH committees and sub-committees. She also representsIOSH on the Scottish Health and Safety Revitalisers’ Forum. Joining Strathclyde regional council’s building and works department as abuyer in 1979, Lawson transferred to its health and safety section in 1985. Shespent two years working for Scottish Power before joining the IRPC Group in1995. She worked as Environmental, Health and Safety Manager with MorrisonProperty Care and now runs her own health and safety consultancy. Speaking about her new role, she said: “It is a great honour to be electedpresident of IOSH, particularly in its first year as a chartered organisation.I will do all I can to build on the achievements of Paul Faupel, who has soably led us through the past two years.” Continuing the Scottish influence, Lawson will be in office for IOSH’s firstAnnual Conference and Exhibition to be held in Scotland. The event takes placeat the Scottish Exhibition and Convention Centre, Glasgow, 23-24 April 2003.For the latest information, please visit: www.ioshconference.co.uk Previous Article Next Article Related posts:No related photos.
UK retailer Tesco has chosen Legal & General Investment Management (LGIM) to run its new defined contribution (DC) pension fund despite its having established in-house asset management capability for its defined benefit (DB) fund.LGIM said the Tesco Retirement Savings Plan had been in place since November last year, and already enrolled 200,000 members.Emma Douglas, head of DC at LGIM, said the supermarket was looking for a partner able to administer what she believed was the largest single private sector pension fund.“Tesco, which have supplemented our Master Trust board with a highly capable DC Governance Committee, needed access to a very diversified range of highly competitively priced assets, including infrastructure, private equity and emerging market debt, to help to meet the objective for their default strategy of optimising net risk-adjusted outcomes for members,” she said. The supermarket chain is among the largest employers in the UK and announced in September last year that its DB fund would be replaced with a DC scheme, where contributions of 4-7% would be matched by the company.The closure of the DB fund comes after the latest triennial valuation showed the deficit rising from £934m (€1.2bn) in 2011 to £2.8bn in 2014, with its financial statements showing a £3.9bn deficit on an IAS 19 basis.A spokesman for Tesco did not directly respond when asked whether Tesco Pension Investment (TPI), the in-house asset manager set up in 2012 to oversee the company’s £10bn DB fund, had been considered as manager for the new DC arrangement.At the end of the most recent financial year, TPI employed 38 staff, an increase of two employees over 2014.For more on TPI’s approach to asset management, read IPE’s interview with CIO Steven Daniels
Outgoing Fianna Fail county councillor Enda Bonner has claimed people within his own party used his health against him in a bid to oust him from his seat.The Dungloe man lost his seat in the Glenties Electoral area last Sunday.Bonner had not been selected to stand at the party’s convention some months back but party headquarters then put him on the ticket. However, the outgoing councillor said literally hundreds of phonecalls were made against him during the campaign.In a message to family and friends on Facebook this evening, he also claimed that his rivals used his health against him.He said “Unfortunately for me, we were not dealing with a fair fight in this election, I know everything that went on behind the scenes by people that I had called friends and colleagues for many years.“The numerous rumours, the hundreds of phone calls made campaigning against me, the using of my health as an election issue in an attempt to persuade people not to vote for me; everything possible was done to simply unseat me. “All I wanted was an opportunity to have a fair fight in an effort to get re- elected but others used their influence to make sure that their own preferred candidate got elected instead.”He said that following eight weeks of campaigning he said he received the greatest ever reception on the doorsteps of the areas he had canvassed.And he a pointed dig at those who crossed him he warned “That small group of people that worked against me unfairly in this election, would be better off to remember, that the general public never likes to be used unfairly, to advance one’s own agenda in whatever form that may take.”He added that he would sincerely like to thank all those who voted for him on polling day.“I want to say a special thank you to all those who helped me in any way during the election campaign, those that sent me messages, and those that phoned and contacted me directly; I honestly will never forget your kindness, welcome and help for me in this election. “It was a privilege serving my electoral area on Donegal County Council over the years, onto which I was elected by you the people and the communities that mean the most to me. My desire was always to serve the public, to serve the areas that mean the most to me, and as I have said previously, serving the people on Donegal County Council was my life.“I would also like to wish the 6 candidates who got elected in my area and all the other candidates elected across Donegal, and the country, the very best over the next 5 years.“Finally to my genuine friends, supporters, family and campaign team, thank you all most sincerely, you have never let me down, you are the greatest in my eyes and I will always remember you.”Bonner claims “hundreds of phonecalls made” to dump him off council was last modified: May 29th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalelectionEnda Bonnerfianna fail
Ex-Tottenham boss Sherwood says Pochettino has no excuses for Cup shockby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood says Mauricio Pochettino has no excuses for their Carabao Cup dumping by Colchester.Colchester are the lowest-ranked team remaining in the competition, and stunned the football world by dumping Spurs out on penalties after a 0-0 draw.“I know the fans want to win a trophy, but not only that, the manager wants to as well,” Sherwood said.“So perhaps he will have said to Harry [Kane] yesterday ‘I’m not playing you, I’m not going to take you’, and Harry said ‘why not? I want to play, I want to win a trophy’.“It’s all about winning for these guys now.“He’s not picked a bad team there.“Look at Arsenal, look at Man City, look at the changes they made. The reason there isn’t many upsets anymore is because all the strong teams are so strong. They’re all international players throughout the squad.“They’ve got enough – Tottenham’s priority this season is to finish in the top four again, I believe they will do that, but they need to progress.“Progression would be some silverware, and they’ve one less option now.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
CALGARY – A Calgary man accused of filming women without their knowledge and posting their images to a Twitter account called “Canada Creep” is facing additional charges.Jeffrey Robert Williamson, 42, was freed on bail on Thursday after being charged with three counts each of voyeurism and publication of voyeuristic recordings in relation to three alleged incidents.But Calgary police say he was rearrested on Friday and charged Saturday with possession of child pornography and accessing child pornography.Investigators say they seized a number of electronic devices that contained multiple terabytes of data, including alleged child pornography.Police allege Williamson had been posting photos and videos — some shot up the skirts of unsuspecting women — and say the investigation is ongoing.He is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.Police said the investigation began on June 12 after they were alerted to a Twitter account titled “Canada Creep” — believed to be based in Calgary — that was posting inappropriate photos and videos of women.A possible suspect was identified through a public tip and other cyber-investigative efforts and Williamson was arrested the next day and multiple electronic devices were seized, police said.A search warrant was executed at a home that resulted in an additional seizure of computers, storage devices and other electronics, they said.Investigators said the data on the seized devices included hundreds of thousands of images and they are trying to identify alleged victims.
Female brewers worldwide are raising a stein to International Women’s Day.Thousands of women in the beer business and female homebrewers are brewing together around the event, which falls on Thursday, seeing it as a way to raise the profile of women in a male-dominated industry.“There’s a spot for everybody in brewing and especially in learning about brewing,” said Emily Engdahl, executive director of the Pink Boots Society, a U.S. non-profit that supports women in the brewing industry. “It’s important we all help each other.”British brewer Sophie de Ronde began encouraging women to brew together on March 8 five years ago to promote female brewers and beer drinkers, and to draw others in.It has grown globally, with about 160 breweries, homebrew clubs and other beer lovers in 12 countries hosting a free International Women’s Collaboration Brew Day this year. The theme is exotic ingredients. They call their beer “Unite .”The Pink Boots Society used to collaborate with de Ronde but now runs its own event to raise money for educational scholarships for its members and to comply with rules for nonprofits. More than 200 breweries are participating in the society’s collaboration brew day, which is up from 115 last year.Seeing the number of women getting involved is heartwarming, said de Ronde, head brewer at Burnt Mill Brewery in Suffolk, England.“Having the unity of people brewing on the same day is wonderful,” she said. “But having people get involved, no matter what the day is, is what the whole event is about, really.”The women’s day brewing events are complementary, Engdahl said.“It’s a natural way for us to get together, share ideas and have a creative collaboration,” she said. “And who doesn’t want to make a beer that tastes great?”Black Pond Brews in Danielson, Connecticut, hosted homebrewers and beer enthusiasts on Sunday for a Pink Boots event.The industry benefits from bringing in more people with different ideas, said co-owner Mike Teed.“It’s dominated by white men. There’s no question about it,” he said. “Any way we can encourage any and all diversity, it’s going to be better for all of us.”Studies in recent years have found that women hold about a quarter of brewery jobs in the United States.About 20 people attended the Connecticut event. Shannon Jutras, president of the Quiet Corner Homebrew Club, said she is encouraging more women to brew as a hobby, which could eventually lead to more women seeking jobs in the industry and shattering the stereotype that it’s a manual job for men only.“To have a room full of women, all eager and interested, who were developing a little bit of confidence to maybe try this independently, was not just exciting for me, it was a little emotional,” she said. “It was the first time we’ve gotten that many women in the room.”Most of the breweries working with Pink Boots are in the United States, with 40 events in California alone and about 25 more in Massachusetts. There are participants in nine other countries, with the most in Canada and Brazil.They’re using a blend of hops created for the brew day to make various beer styles. Both women and men, Pink Boots members and nonmembers, can brew for the day. Many events take place Thursday.
Mumbai: John Abraham is set to star in and produce a biker film. The untitled film is currently in pre-production and will be directed by Rensil D’Silva. John said the story of the film revolves around motorcycles, his longtime passion, which the actor first showcased onscreen in the 2004 blockbuster “Dhoom”. “I decided to develop a film on riders and their love for motorcycles in-house two years ago. A lot of research and time has been spent on the subject since then. Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: Priyanka “I’m happy to have Ajay Kapoor and Rensil on board for this project. I am especially excited that we will film the action sequences in the Isle of Man, the home of racing on real roads,” the actor said in a statement. D’Silva, who directed 2009 film “Kurbaan”, said directing an adventure film on bikes with John is a dream come true for him. “I’ve grown up on films like ‘Days of Thunder’ and ‘Top Gun’ and it’s a dream come true to make an adrenaline pumping, emotionally charged bike racing film like this with John,” the filmmaker said. Also Read – Salman Khan remembers actor Vinod Khanna Kyta Productions, the banner behind John’s last “Parmanu: The Story of Pokhran” and his upcoming espionage thriller “RAW (Romeo Akbar Walter)”, is attached to co-produce. Ajay Kapoor of the production house said he is excited to collaborate with the actor’s JA Entertainment again. “I know how passionate John is about motorbikes. It has been a pleasure collaborating with him and his production company so far on all our projects, and it will be an absolute treat to see him play a biker now! We look forward to our other collaborations with him in future too,” Kapoor said. Remaining cast of the film is currently being locked and the film go on floors in July.
Paying homage to ghazal legends, ‘Andaaz-e-Bayaan’ – a concert by composer-singer Shakeel Ahmed will be held at Amaltas Auditorium, India Habitat Centre. The performance will take the audience on a beautiful journey of ghazals where musical legacy of greats like Begum Akhtar, Mehdi Hassan, and Jagjit Singh, will be celebrated in a most scintillating setting. The concert will also feature some of Shakeel Ahmed’s original hits.Towards the middle of the last century, the Ghazal seemed to be sinking into oblivion. Its revival and popularity today is an outcome of the brilliance and talent of a number of individuals. Of these, a few attained legendary status. Also Read – An income drop can harm brainDuring the event, audience will see a performance which emphasises the creativity in each generation and the absolute joy that a live program of Ghazals can be when the singer is a master of the art of Ghazal Gaayaki. Narrative and commentary by Laxmi Shankar Bajpai and Rajesh Badal in conversation with Dr Mridula Tandon will provide brilliant insights into the lives and times of these legendary singers, their struggles and their triumphs Shakeel Ahmed is a new rising star in the ancient tradition of Ghazal Gaayaki. He is an artist who has given performances countrywide and abroad and has carved a niche for himself in the world of music. In an era where fusion and new age music dominate the current Indian music scenario, Shakeel Ahmed is a rare performer who continues to excel and please the connoisseur with his impeccably rendered traditional puritan raga based ‘gayaki’.
New Delhi: Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), the country’s biggest fuel retailer, Friday said it has made arrangements to ensure uninterrupted supply of petrol, diesel, LPG and jet fuel in Odisha and West Bengal that faced a category-4 cyclone. “In the wake of the cyclone Fani making landfall in Odisha earlier today (Friday), IOC is fully geared up and ensuring uninterrupted fuel supply from its locations in Odisha and West Bengal on the east coast,” the company said in a statement. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraThe company said its operations are largely normal across the two eastern states and it continues to supply. IOC has close to half of the retail fuel market share across the country. “Adequate stock of petroleum products such as petrol, diesel, LPG, kerosene and aviation fuel is available. The Corporation (IOC) is also actively assisting the district administration in evacuation, rescue and relief activities,” the statement said. Cyclone Fani is the worst storm since 2014 and had prompted authorities to shift more than a million people to safer places. IOC is continuing to operate its 15 million tonne per annum capacity refinery at Paradip on Odisha coast. The refinery is designed to withstand cyclones with a speed of over 200 kilometres per hour. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 days”Considering the onslaught of the cyclonic storm, IOC’s million metric tonnes per annum coastal refinery at Paradip has put in place all precautionary measures and safeguards to protect the people and the plant. All necessary safety measures are in place as per the onsite emergency plan,” it said. “A control room is already in operation to coordinate the preventive and proactive measures.” IOC said refinery operations are running normal, with all units in line and the products being evacuated by the marketing terminal and through pipeline transfer. “Coastal evacuation, however, has been halted, as per plan, due to the cyclone conditions.” CISF personnel and refinery fire and safety team members have been deployed at all strategic locations for monitoring the situation. Measures have also been taken to avoid build-up of excessive water in the refinery area, if any, it said. The refinery, IOC said, is also extending all possible assistance to the district administration by providing essential relief material such as biscuits, milk powder and water pouches and supporting a cyclone centre. It is also arranging transport facilities for the evacuation of people to safer places from the two municipality blocks of Kujang and Paradip in the district.